But I wanted to serve!!!

We host a Bible Study group from our church in our home on Monday nights. Last night, our group had the opportunity to help a fellow church member who is moving into a 'new' house...... the house is a fixer-upper so there is a lot of painting, etc. that needs to be done and we (the kids included) were excited to go and help this family. We decided to ask if it would be okay to bring the kids with us and we were told that the only help needed at the present time was adult help (he said that there would be projects for the kids to help with later).

Needless to say, there was great wailing and gnashing of teeth when the kids found out that they couldn't come this time......... "But I wanted to serve!" came the response. I was touched by the tender hearts of my children who were quite devastated that they were not able to help with this particular project. When their tears subsided, I reminded them that there were plenty of opportunities to serve at home...... as they looked at me with questioning faces, I told them that we have enjoyed the opportunity to host several friends during these past weeks in our home, either for meals or for an overnight stay. Many of these are friends of mine or Rodney's from college who are passing through on their way to the mission field.
                                Justin and Anna Toews (Liam and Libby) serve with MARC Alaska
                               Cory and Annaleis Woodsum serve with MAF, heading to Eastern Congo

We were so blessed to have these dear friends with us for two days and we all enjoyed dinner together. This coming week, we have the opportunity to host a family for dinner as they visit MAF to determine if this is the organization that the Lord wants them to serve with on the mission field. Next week, we will host some friends who are coming to visit on a furlough from Mexico where they serve as teachers.

I reminded our kids that each time they offer their room for other kids to sleep in while they're at our house, each time they share their toys, each time they help to set the table or unload the dishwasher or sweep the floor, they are serving the Lord! So even though they didn't get to help paint a house last night, our family is blessed with many opportunities to serve others by opening our home, offering a meal, hosting weekly Bible Study, etc.


Then it hit me......... when was the last time I considered that doing the dishes and making food and washing laundry for MY family was an act of service to the Lord? It can feel mundane at times, since that's what I do as a wife and mom...... but it's an opportunity to serve the Lord and my family every single day.

Father, help me to see my daily chores as an act of service to my family, as an offering to You. Remind me when my kids say "I'm hungry!!!" for the 100th time in 30 minutes to respond with an attitude of gratitude, that I can serve my family and be a blessing to them, because You have blessed me....... Philippians 2:4 says, "Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE IT IS!

ITS A BOY!

Reflecting on the light